Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Greetings from Canada, eh!

The Peace Arch at the Canada/US border


I am now in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  I rode up from Seattle with my friend Cary,but he did not have a passport, so he dropped me off at the border.  I'mean still adjusting to the loaded bike and the first thing I encountered was a steep hill climb up to the route into Vancover.  It's amazing how much attention the loaded touring bike gets.  I stopped at the top of a hill to catch my breath, cool down, and get my bearings, and almost immediately a lady came up and asked if she could help me.  she let me use her phone (mine doesn't work in Canada) so I could call the hostel where I was going to stay.  Then a guy came by and infomed me I couldn'the take the direct route I planned because there was a tunel under the river that did not allow bicycles!  He suggested that I take the bus  and lightrail that would get me through the tunnel and get me to the hostel much faster.  He explained exactly how to do it, and since it was getting late, I decided it was a good idea.  It was until I got on the bus and the driver informed me I need $2.75 in Canadian quarters, no bills!  But another rider on the bus saved me.  He took my $3.00 US and paid my fare in the required Canadian quarters!
I
The loaded bike on the lightrail

 I finally made it to the hostel around 9 PM.  I offloaded all my ģear, introduced myself to my 3 roomates, then went to take shower.  When I got back to the room everyone had already gone to bed!  II hadn'the eaten yet so I went out for some fish & chips and a beer.  When I got back I crawled into bed (upper bunk) as quietly as I could and crashed.  When I woke up this morning I expected my roommates to be all up and gone, but theyou were all still asleep!

Today I plan to explore Vancouver.  I'll spend the night at the hostel again, then head to Victoria tomorrow.





3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Canada's got some friendly folks, eh?! Enjoy vancouver! Granville Island and Stanley Park are great places for the bike. Get some fresh cooked seafood at Granville then ride up to Stanley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I posted but it didn't show up. Sorry the blog I set you up with didn't work out. I kept looking every day and nothing so great to finally see a story! How were those fish and chips??

    ReplyDelete